COVID -19 Information for our patients: Last updated 07/23/20
The Providers and staff of Associates in Family Practice are committed to the safety and well being of our patients. For the safety of our elderly and immunocompromised patients we ask that if you feel you have been exposed to Covid-19, PLEASE DO NOT come into the office.
We are not able to do testing in the office at this time.
***All families should have a working thermometer on hand***
We are seeing our routine and healthy patients in the morning and scheduling sick patients in the afternoon in order keep all of our patients as safe and as healthy as possible during this Pandemic. Our reception area and exam rooms are sanitized multiple times throughout the day. The exam rooms are sanitized after every sick patient visit.
If you feel that you are not able to come into the office for an appointment, our Providers are now able to provide Virtual Visits via video chat on our secure and encrypted platform. You will need a device (either “smart” cell phone or computer) that has a camera and microphone in order for the program to work correctly. At the time of your scheduled appointment a link will be sent to either your cell phone or your email – depending on what device you are using for the visit.
Patients who have concerns that they may have been exposed to COVID-19 or may have symptoms of COVID-19 should contact the Montgomery County Health Department or the Maryland Department of Health for testing. On the call you will be screened to determine the need for testing. The tests will likely be nasal swabs that are then sent to a laboratory.
Montgomery County is allowing patients to order and schedule their own Covid-19 tests. You MUST be a Montgomery County resident to utilize this site. Please click on the link below for information and scheduling.
Montgomery Co. Department of Health 240-777-1755;
after Hours 240-777-4000.
Maryland Department of health 410-767-6700;
after Hours 410-795-7365
Here is what the top 4 commercial payors are communicating to their members regarding COVID-19 and their benefits: Last updated 03/19/20
- As previously communicated, UnitedHealthcare has waived all member cost sharing, including copays, coinsurance and deductibles, for COVID-19 diagnostic testing provided at approved locations in accordance with CDC guidelines for all commercial insured, Medicaid and Medicare members. UnitedHealthcare is also supporting self-insured customers choosing to implement similar actions.
- Optum’s Emotional-Support Help Line is available to support anyone who may be experiencing anxiety or stress following the recent developments around COVID-19. The free service can be reached at (866) 342-6892, 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is open to all. In addition, emotional-support resources and information are available online at www.liveandworkwell.com.
- Eligible UnitedHealthcare and OptumRx members needing help obtaining an early prescription refill can call the customer care number located on the back of their medical ID card for assistance.
Aetna will waive co-pays for all diagnostic testing related to COVID-19. This policy will cover the cost of physician-ordered testing for patients who meet CDC guidelines, which can be done in any approved laboratory location. Aetna will waive the member costs associated with diagnostic testing at any authorized location for all Commercial, Medicare and Medicaid lines of business. Self-insured plan sponsors will be able to opt-out of this program at their discretion.
For the next 90 days, until June 4, 2020, Aetna will offer zero co-pay telemedicine visits – for any reason. Aetna members should use telemedicine as their first line of defense in order to limit potential exposure in physician offices. Cost sharing will be waived for all virtual visits through the Aetna-covered Teladoc® offerings and in-network providers delivering synchronous virtual care (live video-conferencing) for all Commercial plan designs. Self-insured plan sponsors will be able to opt-out of this program at their discretion.
- Aetna is also waiving early refill limits on 30-day prescription maintenance medications for all members with pharmacy benefits administered through CVS Caremark.
- Through Aetna’s Healing Better program, members who are diagnosed with COVID-19 will receive a care package containing CVS items to help relieve symptoms. The package will also include personal and household cleaning supplies to help keep others in the home protected from potential exposure.
Where can I go to receive care outside a provider’s office?
CareFirst members have two options to receive care outside a provider’s office – 24-Hour Nurse Advice Line and Video Visit.
- Members can call 800-535-9700 anytime to speak with a registered nurse to discuss their symptoms and get recommendations for the most appropriate care.
If I am quarantined or don’t want to go out in public, how can I refill my prescriptions?
CareFirst is waiving early medication refill limits on 30-day maintenance medications (consistent with your benefit plan) and encourages you to use the 90-day mail order benefit. Your cost sharing will apply as normal.
You will not be liable for additional charges that stem from obtaining a non-preferred medication if the preferred medication is not available due to shortage or access issues.
If you don’t want to go out in public to pick-up a refill, you should call the pharmacy where you filled the prescription and ask if they deliver – many do.
You can also switch to our mail order service by:
- Going online – Go to My Account, click on My Coverage, select Drug and Pharmacy Resources, click on Order and Refill Prescriptions and select Order Prescriptions to set up an account.
- Calling the toll-free number on the back of your member ID card.
Mail order processing for a new prescription can take up to 5 days plus 1 to 2 days for a refill with the mail order service. Regular delivery takes up to 5 days; 2-day and next day delivery is also available for an additional charge.
If you are diagnosed with COVID-19, or feel anxious or stressed about the situation, Cigna will ensure you get the care you need:
- We will ensure delivery of your medications – there is no need to order refills earlier than usual, or to stock up
- We are available at any time to answer your calls, provide support, and assist your providers.
- If you have general questions about your benefit and coverage, call 1 (855) 287-8400
If you need help coping with loss, stress, or other issues related to the impact of COVID-19, call 1 (866) 912-1687
What to do if you feel ill
- Reach out to your health care provider. If your doctor wants you to be tested for the virus, it will be covered at no cost to anyone covered on your Cigna medical plan
- At myCigna.com®, you can talk with a doctor or nurse, 24/7, without having to leave home
- It’s important to avoid exposing others to your illness – even if you feel up to going out, you could pose a risk to someone who lacks your resilience
2020 HOLIDAY CLOSINGS
May 25, 2020 – Memorial Day
July 3, 2020 – The Fourth of July
September 7, 2020 – Labor Day
November 25, 2020 – Closing at noon
November 26, 2020 – Thanksgiving Day
November 27, 2020 – Thanksgiving Extended Holiday
December 11, 2020 – Closing at 3:30 for Office Christmas Party
December 23, 2020 – Closing at noon
December 24, 2020 – Christmas Eve
December 25, 2020– Christmas Day
December 31, 2020 – New Year’s Eve – Closing at noon
January 1, 2021 – New Year’s Day
FLU SEASON 2020/2021
We will be administering Flu Vaccines for the 2020/2021 season at the end of August.
Please call the appointment line to schedule your appointment. We will offer the High Dose Vaccine for patients over 65, Flublok** for patients aged 18 – 64, the Quadrivalent Vaccine for patients 3 to 17 years, and the Pediatric Vaccine for 6 to 35 months. Please ask the staff if you have any questions.
Make sure you and your family stay healthy this year – vaccinate!
**Flublok is the egg free vaccine. Data from the 2017-2018 Flu season indicated that patients who received the Flublok vaccine had higher resistance to the influenza virus and had less instances of contracting the flu. We made the decision this flu season to administer the Flublok vaccine to all patients ages 17-64 years in order to provide as much protection as possible.
If you receive your flu vaccine at a pharmacy or other facility MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE AT LEAST RECEIVING THE QUADRAVALENT VACCINE! Most pharmacies are only offering the TRIVALENT vaccine which is not as effective and provides less coverage.
NO CO-PAYMENT REQUIRED!